Having trouble enabling retina display

Mackbook pro model 10,1 (retina mid 2012) running El Capitan 10.11.6

When I connect the Luna Display and try to enable retina display, it warns me that the screen will flash a few times but ultimately asks me to unplug the Luna Display and try again.

Am I doing something wrong?

I’ve got the same issue and behaviour with a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running Mojave, connected to a 2015 iPad Pro.
I know it can handle HiDPI resolutions on external monitors because I use Duet Display at Retina resolutions, as well as other high-res external monitors.

I’ve just contacted support on this. I’ll update here if I make any headway.

Sort of a drag.
I was able to finally dialog with support and it turns out that for the early Macbook Pros with retina display, the maximum supported monitor resolution is less than the Ipad Pro’s resolution.

“Depending on the iPad model, I wonder if it might not be able to support the iPad in Retina mode. Based on Apple’s technical specifications sheet for your MacBook Pro, it seems like your Macbook Pro can display at maximum a resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels. The newer iPad Pros for example have a resolution of 2732 by 2048 which would cause the MacBook Pro to be unable to run retina.”